Welcome to the wonderful world of the Geo Data and Model Software (GeoDMS).
The software is continuously in development and is, amongst others, being used by the The Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency, the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission, the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and multiple Dutch municipalities.
The GeoDMS is especially suitable for applications with one or more of the following characteristics:
- modelling/analysing with large geographical datasets, such as large grids, building registers, or road networks;
- combining multiple calculation steps to reach a certain result;
- parameterise calculation schemes to perform scenario analyses and compare their results;
- discrete allocation under capacity restrictions, accessibility and network calculations/assignments
- being able to reproduce and understand what you calculated last week, and transfer your model logic to your successor.
The GeoDMS is less suitable to:
- make a fast (simple) thematic map. Desktop GIS applications like QGIS or ArcGIS are more suitable for this purpose;
- manage data; a database (management system) or version management system is more useful for this.
GUI and scripts
outline of this academy
In this section you will find a set of modules on how to learn to work with GeoDMS and use its scripting language.
This GeoDMS Academy is structured in way that it enables you to accumulate the knowledge when you work through it front to back, or you can just dive into certain topics when you are already acquainted with the topic discussed in earlier modules.
- 0: Install GeoDMS GUI and setup a configuration
- 1: Learning the basic concepts of GeoDMS
- 2: Loading and storing data sources
- 3: Doing basic analyses with vector data (WORK IN PROGRESS)
- 4: Doing basic analyses with grid data (WORK IN PROGRESS)
- 5a: Working with networks over a road network
- 5b: Working with networks in a public transport setting
- 6: Doing land-use allocation